Bethlehem’s New Sermon Series for the Fall of 1988
Fight the good fight of faith. (1 Timothy 6:12)
The essence of righteousness is to trust in God. The root of all sin is unbelief. Unbelief is dissatisfaction with God’s fellowship and fortunes. It is discontent with his presence and provision. Out of this dissatisfaction and discontent come all acts of sin. Therefore the battle against sinning must be a battle against unbelief in our own hearts.
The sermons of this fall will try to show how this battle is to be fought. Paul said he learned the secret of contentment in Christ (Philippians 4:12). Trusting God must be learned. And to learn it is a lifelong battle. But the outcome is global glory—“This is the victory that overcomes the world, our faith” (1 John 5:4). But, “if you will not believe, you will not be established” (Isaiah 7:9).
- September 11 - "Battling Unbelief at Bethlehem" Romans 4:13-25
- September 18 - "Battling Unbelief Together" Hebrews 10:19-25
- September 25 - "Battling the Unbelief of Anxiety" Matthew 6:25-34
- October 2 - "Battling the Unbelief of Misplaced Shame" 2 Timothy 1:6-12
- October 9 - Missions Week - Dan Chalmers
- October 16 - "Missions Week: Battling the Unbelief of Indifference to World Missions"
- October 23 - "Battling the Unbelief of Regret" 1 Samuel 12:19-25
- October 30 - "Battling the Unbelief of Covetousness" 1 Timothy 6:6-12
- October 30 (PM) - "Battling the Unbelief of Envy" Psalm 37:1-11
- November 6 - "Believing God on Election Day" Daniel 4:28-37
- November 13 - "Battling the Unbelief of Lust" 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
- November 20 - "Battling the Unbelief of Bitterness" Romans 12:9-21
- November 27 - "Battling the Unbelief of Impatience" Isaiah 30:1-5
- December 4 - "Battling the Unbelief of Despondency" Psalm 73:21-26
- December 11 - Advent Music and Meditation
- December 18 - "Battling the Unbelief of a Haughty Spirit" 1 Corinthians 4:1-7
- December 25 - "Jesus Came into the World to Be Trusted" John 18:33-38
- January 1-8 - Week of Prayer
Arming myself with you and for you,
©2014 Desiring God Foundation. Used by Permission.
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in physical form, in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For posting online, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. For videos, please embed from the original source. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. ©2014 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org