Session 3, Darrin Patrick on "Being and Building Men for the Local Mission" —
- "When you become a leader of men, you plug your life into an ampiflier and everyone hears it."
- "There's nothing more destructive for people who are trying to know God than legalism."
- "You don't obey for your acceptance, you obey from your acceptance."
- "You don't measure your maturity by comparing yourself with others. You judge maturity by comparing yourself to Jesus."
- "You can’t legislate inner character. It can’t be done. Law cannot do anything with the root of anger, greed and lust."
- "Paul tells us to crucify the flesh. Crucifixion is a slow death, but it is a certain death."
- "Your flesh is anything you use other than Jesus to get God’s approval. Your flesh will take your ministry and make it your righteousness."
- "A key to killing your spiritual flesh is through surrounding yourselves with brothers. You have to have some guys who aren’t impressed with you. You need elders who tell you no."
- "You need guys around you who hate your sin. You need guys who are pursing Christ to the degree that when you look at them you say 'I want to pursue Christ like that.'"
- "You must allow other people to bear your burdens. You’re not the Savior."
Next message: Tuesday at 2:45PM (EST); John Piper's biographical sketch on J. C. Ryle. (desiringgod.org/live)