J. C. Ryle was a man of the Word.
The first bishop of Liverpool, and subject of John Piper's biographical message at next week's Conference for Pastors, wanted his people to read the Scriptures. And we want the same thing, for ourselves and for you.
To help us out, Erik Kowalker recently compiled a list of tips straight from Ryle's book Practical Religion. Here are eight profitable ways to read the Bible:
- Begin reading your Bible this very day.
- Read the Bible with an earnest desire to understand it.
- Read the Bible with child-like faith and humility.
- Read the Bible in a spirit of obedience and self-application.
- Read the Bible daily.
- Read all of the Bible — and read it in an orderly way.
- Read the Bible fairly and honestly.
- Read the Bible with Christ continually in view.
For more on these eight ways read the full post.