The Desiring God App
Update 8/10: We've just released a new update into the app store, addressing crash reports and miscellaneous bugs. We value your feedback!
Watch, listen to, or read all of Pastor John's sermons, articles, online books, blog posts, and more on the new Desiring God App for the iPhone and iPad.
Pastor John introduces and demonstrates the new app in this video:
As Pastor John mentions, the new app meets a growing trend among Desiring God web users:
- In 2009, less than 1% of website visits came from mobile devices.
- In 2010, just under 5% of website visits came from mobile devices.
- In 2011, 13% of all website visits originated from mobile devices.
These numbers reflect a growing trend in international mobile technology. A few stats to consider:
- Smartphones are expected to increase from 23% of total phone shipments in 2010 to 45% in 2015. (Source)
- Mobile application downloads are expected to reach nearly 48 billion in 2015. (Source)
- The number of smartphones set to rise from today’s global estimate of 500 million handsets in use, to almost two billion by 2015. (Source)
- By 2010, 73% of total mobile cellular subscriptions were from the developing world. (Source)
- Smartphone connections to Wi-Fi hotspots will soon overtake laptops globally. Laptops now represent less than half (48%) of the connections to hotspots, smartphones account for 36 percent and tablets 10 percent. (Source)
- Out of 6.8 billion people on the planet, 5.1 billion of them own a cell phone. Only 4.2 billion own a toothbrush. (Source: Mobile Marketing Association Asia)
- There are 1.2 billion mobile web users worldwide; Asia is the top region. (Source)
- Four billion mobile phones are in use, 1.08 billion of which are smartphones. (Source)
- There are more mobile phones on the planet than TVs. (Source: Jupiter)
- There are 5.9 billion mobile subscribers worldwide. China and India account for 30% of the world's subscriptions. (Source)
- 9 in 10 American adults now have mobile phones, up from 7 in 10 in 2006 (+21%). 1 in 5 kids ages 6 to 11 now have a mobile phone. (Source)
- It is predicted that mobile users will outnumber desktop computer users by 2014. (Source)
- 91% of all U.S. citizens have their mobile device within reach 24/7. (Source: Morgan Stanley)
- On average, Americans spend 2.7 hours per day socializing on their mobile device. (Source)
- One half of web searches are done via a mobile device. (Source)