Paul's burden for Timothy is straightforward: Embrace suffering for the gospel instead of running away from it.
In this last letter before his death, the apostle grounds Timothy's endurance in five unshakable foundations — foundations that all Christians should build at the bottom of their lives.
- Jesus Christ, the son of David, is risen from the dead and reigns over the world forever.
- Preachers may be bound. The word of God is not.
- God has his elect in this world, and your ministry will be the instrument that brings them to eternal glory.
- God cannot deny himself. Trust him and your salvation is as sure as his commitment to his name.
- A double-sided seal: “The Lord knows those who are his.” And the evidence you are his: “Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”
John Piper expounds these foundations in his message on 2 Timothy 2:8–19 and calls for our courage in the face of affliction.
Stream or download this week's sermon.