What Is Essential to Being a Christian?
Being a Christian doesn’t only mean that you assent to a certain set of doctrines. There are other equally important things that must be true. Jonathan Edwards explains.
It is essential to Christianity
- that we repent of our sins,
- that we be convinced of our own sinfulness,
- that we are sensible we have justly exposed ourselves to God’s wrath,
- that our hearts do renounce all sin,
- that we do with our whole hearts embrace Christ as our only Saviour;
- that we love him above all, and
- are willing for his sake to forsake all, and
- that we do give up ourselves to be entirely and forever his.
Religious Affections, 334; bullets added.
Recent posts from "They Still Speak" —