Today is the 200th anniversary of John Newton’s death.
- John Newton wrote the hymn ‘Amazing Grace.” (The words, not the music.)
- He counseled William Wilberforce to stay in politics to fight the slave trade.
- He never gave up on the suicidal William Cowper who gave us “There Is A Fountain Filled with Blood” and “God Moves in a Mysterious Way” and “O For a Closer Walk with God.”
- He partnered with Cowper in writing a collection of Olney Hymns for their people. Cowper could not carry it through. Of the 300 hymns we have today 233 are from Newton.
- When Henry Martyn came to him for counsel before entering on his mission to Persia (a…