David Brainerd Biography (Free eBook)
In 1742 Yale College expelled David Brainerd.
He had made some prohibited comments about some of the faculty and, though at the top of his class academically, Yale booted him. Add to this that in order to be an established minister in Connecticut you had to be a graduate of Yale, Harvard, or a European university. Brainerd's dreams (and obedience!) to become a pastor came crashing down. It was very difficult, as John Piper explains, "Brained felt cut off from his life calling."
This is a hard fact to swallow. Tragic, it might seem, considering that David Brainerd died at the young age of 29. But here we are looking at his life, admitting there's a good story to be told, and retold. One that's not about the expulsion, but about what God did through him in that handful of years between the expulsion and his death.
Originally delivered as a message at the 1990 Conference for Pastors, John Piper tells Brainerd's story in this short eBook, David Brainerd: May I Never Loiter on My Heavenly Journey!.
To download, click on the following format options:
- Download eBook as a PDF file.
- Download eBook as an EPUB file formatted for readers like the Nook, Sony Reader, and Apple iBooks (iPad, iPhone, iPod).
- Download eBook as a MOBI file formatted for Kindle applications (this option works well on some mobile devices, and not so well on others).
Note: To load the eBook on a mobile device it may be necessary to view this blog post from within your device and then to click the download option.
Biography eBooks in the Missions Series:
- David Brainerd: May I Never Loiter On My Heavenly Journey!
- Andrew Fuller: I Will Go Down If You Will Hold the Rope!
- Adoniram Judson: How Few There Are Who Die So Hard!
- John G. Paton: You Will Be Eaten By Cannibals!
Sign up to receive a daily digest of the Desiring God Blog.