The doctrine of the Christian life — also known as ethics — is about Christian wisdom.
It is not about merely having the proper answers to a list of tricky moral questions, but discerning between good and evil in a changing and complicated world. Whether it’s in-vitro fertilization, stem-cell research, or human cloning — just to name a few — today’s challenges simply are not the same issues as yesteryear, and tomorrow’s moral dilemmas won’t be the precise set we face today.
It won’t do to memorize the answers to the last generation’s flashpoints. We must become the kind of people who deeply know biblical revelation, what it says about God and man and the world, and how to apply it to everyday life. It demands discernment. Christian ethics requires a broad vision of what the kingdom of God looks like, what pleases God, and what it means to love neighbor in an ever-changing society.
In tackling the doctrine of the Christian life, we couldn’t think of anyone better than Russell Moore, dean of theology at Southern Seminary and leading ethicist among evangelicals. In this new episode of Theology Refresh, we asked Moore for a swift primer on Christian ethics. We think you’ll find these 13 minutes well worth the investment.
Previous episodes of Theology Refresh:
- John Piper on the God-Centeredness of God
- R W Glenn on the Grace of God
- Jerry Bridges on the Christian Spiritual Disciplines
- D.A. Carson on the Incarnation
- Erik Thoennes on the Christian and Sport
- Gregg Allison on the Doctrine of the Church
- David Platt on the Doctrine of Hell
- Don Carson on the Wrath of God
- Sam Storms on the End Times
- Tony Reinke on a Theology of Reading
- R W Glenn on the Fatherhood of God
- David Platt on the Doctrine of Suffering
- Francis Chan on the Sovereignty of God
- John Piper on the Gospel and Sanctification
- John Piper on the Gospel and Sanctification (Part 2)
- Kevin DeYoung on the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- Jerry Rankin on the Great Commission
- Paul Miller on the Doctrine of Prayer
- John Piper on the Celebrity Factor and Pastoral Ministry
- Justin Taylor on the Sanctity of Human Life
- Jared Wilson on the Doctrine of the Trinity
- Ray Ortlund on Union with Christ
- Russell Moore on the Person of Christ
- Darrin Patrick on Biblical Complementarity
- Ed Stetzer on Spiritual Warfare
- Kevin DeYoung on Scripture