Do You Feel Called to Teach?
In 1977 John Piper organized some advice for a group of college students who were considering a career in teaching biblical and theological studies.
The counsel includes the goal of teaching, the difficultly in teaching, and the personal traits that might make you fit for such a vocation.
Here's the list of those five personal traits:
- You have to be a good explainer.
- You have to believe in the value of thinking.
- You need to feel an inner drive to solve intellectual problems.
- You need to be what the Germans call a “Menschenkenner.”
- You need the discipline to sit at a desk and think and write for 10–14 hours a day.
Read the entire paper. It's short and helpful.
Recent posts from "The Life of the Mind" —
Sign up to receive a daily digest of new articles from Desiring God.