Does God Make Much of Us?
Pastor John in his message at Passion 2011, Getting to the Bottom of Your Joy —
Let it be said loud and clear: John Piper does not deny and and never has denied that God makes much of us. The question is ranking—what’s at the bottom of your joy. Where does it finally rest?
Yes, those amazing truths—that God makes much of you—should thrill your soul! But why? The answer to that question makes all the difference.
If the answer is, "Because I'm at the bottom, and I love to be made much of," you're not born again. If the answer is, "Because it reveals more of God and makes me know him, treasure him, love him, be satisfied in him, more than I ever dreamed!" then you are born again.
That's the difference—what's at the bottom.
Seven Ways God Makes Much of Us
1. God makes much of us by being pleased with us and commending our lives.
2. God makes much of us by making us fellow heirs with his Son, who owns everything. (1 Corinthians 3:21–23)
3. God makes much of us by having us sit at table when he returns and serving us as though he were the slave and we the masters. (Luke 12:37)
4. God makes much of us by appointing us to carry out the judgment of angels. (1 Corinthians 6:3)
5. God makes much of us by ascribing value to us and rejoicing over us as his treasured possession. (Matthew 10:29–31)
6. God makes much of us by giving us a glorious body like Jesus' resurrection body. (Matthew 13:43; cf. Romans 8:30)
7. Most amazingly God makes much of us by granting us to sit with Christ on his throne. (Revelation 3:21)
Recent posts from "Piper's Pen" —
- How Is the Cross of Jesus Your Joy?
- Hard Work or Anxious Toil? — A Christian Understanding of Labor
- Three Things to Learn in Romans 8:35
Sign up to receive a daily digest of the Desiring God Blog.