Hidden Treasures Thrift Store
Hidden treasures, that’s what my boys and I were looking for back in the days when we made our Christmas shopping rounds—first to Savers and Salvation Army Thrift Shops, then to the liquidation store nearby, then if we still hadn’t found all the gifts we wanted to give, we upgraded to Target.
A hidden treasure was what Talitha wanted last week when she and I went shopping for a very special dress to wear on Saturday for her date to the Father-Daughter High Tea at Bethlehem. She found the perfect dress for $9.99 minus the 40% seniors discount (I’m eligible).
That’s our kind of shopping.
The Apostle Paul said, “Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need” (Eph. 4:28). Although we’re not really stealing, just looking for a steal, we like the principle—work so you can earn so you can be generous in Jesus’ name. We could add another piece: In order to have what we need to be generous, we also need to be careful how we spend.
So, I’m thrilled that Hidden Treasures Thrift Store opens this week. During our day-off lunchtime yesterday, John and I peeked in and were impressed at the large, airy, attractive store. Here’s what they say about themselves at their website:
Hidden Treasures is a not-for-profit thrift store that exists to impact our world locally and globally for the glory of Jesus Christ. . . .
We will be selecting international ministries from a Bethlehem Baptist Church-supported network to be recipients of 75% of all our profits. The remaining 25% of profits will be put back in to the ministry of Masterworks.
The grand opening is Thursday to Saturday this week. Lord willing, I’ll be there!
Sign up to receive a daily digest of new articles from Desiring God.