Paul called it a “profound mystery” (Ephesians 5:32). Earthly marriage between a man and a woman is a momentary parable of one of the most gloriously permanent things in the seen and unseen worlds: Christ’s marriage to his church.
That’s why John Piper writes, “There has never been a generation whose general view of marriage is high enough.” And in the United States the general view of marriage continues to erode. Every day in the public square it’s under fire:
- Who says that marriage should only be between one man and one woman?
- Why should any two consenting adults be denied marriage if they’re in love?
- Isn’t being in love essentially what marriage is all about?
- Who says marriage ought to be “till death do us part”? If love is gone why stay married?
And inside the church there’s additional confusion over important questions like,
- What does the Bible mean that the husband is the head of the wife?
- What does submission look like? Are there times we should not submit?
- Do single people just miss out on the mystery of marriage?
- What is God’s design in sex? What role does it play in the “mystery”?
- What does the Bible really teach about divorce and remarriage?
This is why John Piper’s book, This Momentary Marriage, is so needed right now. It provides clear, Biblical answers to the most fundamental questions people have about marriage. But beyond answers, it leads us to worship because it helps us all grasp more and glory in the “profound mystery” that marriage exists to display.
We’d like to help you take your teens, small group, Sunday School class, Bible study, couples in pre-marriage counseling, or your church through this book by making This Momentary Marriage available to you in cases of 24 books. To order, just click-through to our outreach case specials at the bottom of this page.
We're serious about moving books.
While our ministry energies are focused primarily through our website, we also stand ready to move books in bulk so you can help us in the spreading. We've arranged for extraordinary case-lot specials on some of John Piper's books geared especially for small groups and outreach efforts. These titles are packaged in bulk, priced at the lowest possible rates (as donations), ready to be distributed, and once you receive them, are for giveaway only.
Would you partner with us?