What Does It Mean to Be a Pilgrim?
The gospel turns people into pilgrims. It comes with a culture-correcting force that creates aliens and exiles of the world.
Drawing from a 1733 Jonathan Edwards sermon, John Piper offers seven descriptions of what this looks like:
- Pilgrims are not diverted from their aim.
- Pilgrims are to hold the things of this world loosely.
- Pilgrims become like what they hope to attain.
- Pilgrims will not be satisfied with anything less than God.
- Pilgrims are not grieved by their arrival at the journey's end.
- Pilgrims ponder what they pursue.
- Pilgrims travel together.
Read the entire article, Jonathan Edwards on the Pilgrim Mindset.
Recent posts from "Piper's Pen" —
- The Pastor's Role in World Evangelization
- Planning for Spiritual Necessities in 2012
- How and Why God Changes People
Sign up to receive a daily digest of new articles from Desiring God.