Life Changing Things I've Learned about Missions
1. God's passion for his reputation (Romans 15:9). Worship—not missions—is the ultimate goal of the church.
2. Our passion for joy and significance. (Acts 20:35) Points one and two are one.
3. The sovereignty of God securing triumph. (Matthew 24:14; 18:16; John 10:16)
4. Prayer as the power behind the word. (2 Thessalonians 3:1)
5. Life as war. A wartime mindset and wartime lifestyle. (1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:7f; Ephesians 6:12ff)
6. Suffering is the path to glory in missions and ministry. (Colossians 1:24; 2 Corinthians 4:7ff; Luke 21:12f)
7. Unreached peoples. Ralph Winter in 1974. The great imbalance. Romans 15:2ff; Revelation 5:9)
8. Domestic ministries vs. Frontier Missions. Missions is exporting domestic ministries.
9. Signs and wonders (Romans 15:18f) claiming Christ, admonishment to test and prove and refine the reality of faith and allegiance to Christ; and through that sense of approvedness to strengthen and deepen and intensify our hope.
©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Used by Permission.
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For Internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. ©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org