The Church in a Homosexual Culture: An Interview with Robert Gagnon
Authors on the Line
Dr. Robert Gagnon is a professor of New Testament at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and a man who has for many years bravely addressed homosexuality from a biblical and theological perspective. In 2002 he published a 500-page book The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics. I put Dr. Gagnon on the line, peppered him with the following questions, and he kindly responded to each of them.
- What are the biblical and the structural prerequisites for a sexual union that magnifies God and honors his created design?
- From that, what constitutes sinful sexual practices?
- Does the Bible say anything about gender reassignment surgery?
- Is homosexuality a modern phenomenon? Just how pervasive was homosexuality in the Greco-Roman world of the Apostle Paul?
- By voting yes to the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, are Christians oppressing the freedoms of the gay and lesbian community? Why or why not?
- What advice do you have for churches seeking to preach against the sin of homosexuality, and make sure the church doors are wide open and welcoming to all those in the homosexual community?
Subscribe to the Authors on the Line podcast in iTunes here.
©2015 Desiring God Foundation. Used by Permission.
Share the Joy!: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in physical form, in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For posting online, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. For videos, please embed from the original source. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. ©2015 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org