“If you live gladly to make others glad in God, your life will be hard, your risks will be high, and your joy will be full. This is not a book about how to avoid a wounded life, but how to avoid a wasted life. Some of you will die in the service of Christ. That will not be a tragedy. Treasuring life above Christ is a tragedy” (p. 10).
“By future I do not merely mean the grace of heaven and the age to come. I mean the grace that begins now, this very second, and sustains your life to the end of this paragraph. By grace I do not merely mean the pardon of God in passing over your sins, but also the power and beauty of God to keep you from sinning” (p. 5).
“Battling unbelief and fighting for faith in future grace means that we fight fire with fire. We throw against the promises of sin the promises of God. We take hold of some great promise God made about our future and say to a particular sin, ‘Match that!’” (p. 16).
"When Charles Wesley taught us to sing, 'He breaks the power of cancelled sin,' he was teaching the fundamental truth about how the cross and our battle with sin are related. The cross cancels sins for all who believe on Jesus. Then on the basis of that cancellation of our sins, the power of our actual sinning is broken. It’s not the other way around" (p. 6).
“There are a thousand ways to magnify Christ in life and death. None should be scorned. All are important. But none makes the worth of Christ shine more brightly than sacrificial love for other people in the name of Jesus. If Christ is so valuable that the hope of his immediate and eternal fellowship after death frees us from the self-serving fear of dying and enables us to lay down our lives for the good of others, such love magnifies the glory of Christ like nothing else in the world” (p 15).
- Acting the Miracle in the Everyday: Word of God, Means of Grace, and the Practical Pursuit of Maturity (Conference Messages)
- The Christian Spiritual Disciplines (Theology Refresh)
- I Will Meditate on All Your Work and Muse on Your Deeds (Sermons)
- Building Our Lives on the Bible (Sermons)
- How Justified Sinners Love Each Other (Sermons)
- Justified to Break the Power of Sin (Sermons)
- Dead to the Law, Serving in the Spirit, Part 3 (Sermons)
- Doing Mercy to the Brothers of Jesus and the Broken Neighbor (Sermons)