“Yes, the Word pierces. And there is pain. But for those who trust in the living word, Jesus Christ, all the piercing will be pleasant in the end” (p. 11).
|Hardcover||Buy on Amazon|
|Kindle||Buy on Amazon|
About the Book
Pierced by the Word takes up thirty-one subjects as unique as "How to Be a Refuge for Your Children," "How to Drink Orange Juice to the Glory of God," and "Embracing the Pain of Shame." Some are longer, some shorter, like the real-world conversations they so closely resemble, and each comes from the fertile mind of John Piper and is written in his own inimitable style. Together, the readings will lead to a deeper understanding of God and a cleaner, clearer relationship with Him. Most of all, Piper's approach shows how meditating on God's powerful Word can affect every aspect of our lives.
Whether you’re steeped in the Word of God or newly acquainted with it, these thirty-one meditations will penetrate to the deepest reaches of your soul.
With a contagious passion, John Piper awakens us to violent prayer, piercing pleasure, and fearless faith.
First Edition 2003
Multnomah Publishers (Colorado Springs, Colorado)
Table of Contents
1 How Strange and Wonderful Is the Love of Christ!
2. God Is the Gospel
3. Pierced by the Word of God
4. Be Not Mere Shadows and Echoes
5. How to Drink Orange Juice to the Glory of God
6. Big, Sweeping—But Not Insipid—Prayers
7. What Is Humility?
8. Wilderness, Worship, Treason, and God
9. How to Be a Refuge for Your Children
10. Going Deep with God by Having Him Carry Our Loads
11. Persevere in Prayer!
12. Dorothy Sayers on Why Hell Is Nonnegotiable
13. To You Who Believe, He Is Precious
14. What Does Jesus Want?
15. How Does the Law Help Me Know My Sin?
16. A Passion for Purity Versus Passive Prayer
17. The Battle for Breakfast Blessing
18. You Have One Precious Life
19. Terrorism, Justice, and Loving Our Enemies
20. How Is God’s Love Experienced in the Heart?
21. Reasons Believers in Christ Need Not Be Afraid
22. Embracing the Pain of Shame
23. How Jesus Helped Hid Disciples Increase Their Faith
24. The Strange Ways of Our Wonderful Builder
25. A*N*T*H*E*M: Strategies for Fighting Lust
26. Mealtime Prayers with the Pipers
27. It Is Never Right to Be Angry with God
28. The Church Was Spoken Against Everywhere
29. By What Death Will You Glorify God?
30. John G. Paton’s Father
31. Helping People Have the Assurance of Salvation
Publisher: Bible Resource Center
Publisher: Pionir Jaya
Publisher: Timothy Publishing House
Publisher: Editora Fiel