The Meaning and Significance of Race, Part 1
Racial Harmony Session 3
Wednesday Evening Message
(This outline is from notes taken during the message.)
1. Evolutionary theory of human origins encourages racist thinking about human groups.
- Evolutionary theory: Humans came from lower life forms.
- Why does this tend toward racism? It can cause you to think that other groups of humans can be explained by saying they are less evolved.
2. The biblical correlation of Adam and Christ as the heads of physical and spiritual humanities points to the unity of the human race
- Romans 5:12 ff
- 1 Corinthians 15:20-22
- 1 Corinthians 15:45-49
3. Paul makes the common origin of humans the ground of equality and the end of ethnic arrogance (Acts 17:24-28).
4. The genetic differences between races are absolutely trivial.
5. Dealing with various groups justly follows from a common origin as creatures of the same God.
- Job 31:13-15
- Proverbs 22:2
©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Used by Permission.
Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For Internet posting, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. ©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org