Two days ago at our National Conference, Sam Storms and Justin Taylor took the stage just before lunch to make an unexpected announcement: after 3 years of undercover communication and composition, a special book had been prepared.
There on stage, Sam and Justin presented to John Piper a book written in his honor: For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper.
Sam began by reading from "A Note to John Piper," the first section of the book, in which he and Justin express (and defend) their hearts in masterminding the project. Then Justin read the name of each of the 27 contributors and the titles of their chapters (see below).
It was a weighty moment—in the happiest sense—filled with heartfelt words, teary eyes, God-centered prayer, and a final chorus of "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" led by Crossway president Lane Dennis.
Here's the video (15 minutes):
The book's contributors and their chapter titles:
- David Michael—"A Personal Tribute to the Praise of God’s Infinite Glory and Abounding Grace"
- David Livingston—"Three Doors Down from a Power Plant"
- David Mathis—"Who Is John Piper?"
- Sam Storms—"Christian Hedonism: Piper and Edwards on the Pursuit of Joy in God"
- Mark R. Talbot—"When All Hope Has Died: Meditations on Profound Christian Suffering"
- Donald J. Westblade—"The Sovereignty of God in the Theology of Jonathan Edwards
- Bruce A. Ware—"Prayer and the Sovereignty of God"
- D. A. Carson—"What Is the Gospel?—Revisited"
- Sinclair B. Ferguson—"Christus Victor et Propitiator: The Death of Christ, Substitute and Conqueror"
- G. K. Beale—"The Role of Resurrection in the Already-and-Not-Yet Phases of Justification"
- Thomas R. Schreiner—"A Biblical Theology of the Glory of God"
- Scott J. Hafemann—"The Kingdom of God as the Mission of God"
- James M. Hamilton Jr.—"The Mystery of Marriage"
- Wayne Grudem—"Pleasing God by Our Obedience: A Neglected New Testament Teaching"
- Thabiti Anyabwile—"The Glory and Supremacy of Jesus Christ in Ethnic Distinctions and over Ethnic Identities"
- Randy Alcorn—"Dethroning Money to Treasure Christ above All"
- Justin Taylor—"'Abortion Is about God': Piper’s Passionate, Prophetic Pro-Life Preaching"
- R. Albert Mohler Jr.—"A God-Centered Worldview: Recovering the Christian Mind by Rediscovering the Master Narrative of the Bible"
- Stephen J. Nichols—"Proclaiming the Gospel and the Glory of God: The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards for Preaching"
- C. J. Mahaney—"The Pastor and the Trinity"
- Ray Ortlund—"The Pastor as Worshiper"
- David Powlison—"The Pastor as Counselor"
- Mark Dever—"The Pastor as Shepherd"
- John MacArthur—"The Pastor as Leader"
- William D. Mounce—"The Pastor and His Study"
- Jon Bloom—"The Vision and Ministry of Desiring God"
- Tom Steller—"The Vision and History of the Bethlehem Institute"
With a chapter listing like that, it is not surprising the book is over 500 pages long.
You can preview the table of contents and D. A. Carson's chapter, "What Is the Gospel?—Revisited," in this PDF.