A Strategy for Daily Bible Reading
How do we begin reading the Bible supernaturally? God is certainly not under our power to control or manipulate him into helping us. Nevertheless, by his own grace, God loves to help his children understand his word. So how are we to set out Bible reading so that we read and think in dependence on God’s supernatural help at every moment?
John Piper’s acronym A.P.T.A.T. gives practical steps to walk in God’s power whenever you open your Bible:
- Admit you can do nothing without God (John 15:5).
- Pray for help (Psalm 50:15).
- Trust a specific promise (2 Chronicles 20:20).
- Act (Philippians 2:12–13).
- Thank God for his provision and goodness (Psalm 106:1).
Watch the five-minute video above, where John Piper unpacks each of these five steps and applies them to the supernatural task of reading the Bible.