Malachi is over (but not the truth). Prayer week is over (but not the prayer). Nine weeks ‘til “Challenge Sunday”! So where do we turn for a word from God in these exciting days?
Answer: 1 Corinthians 1-3
I am eager to get into these three chapters with you on the next nine Sunday mornings and two Sunday evenings. Why?
This part of Scripture gives me the chance to do two things that I have wanted very much to do. It gives me the chance to focus our attention on the great work of Christ in the cross, finished and all-sufficient. I am a great lover of foundations. And the cross is the most precious of all. I cannot be long away from it without feeling homesick.
Chapter one of 1 Corinthians has verses like,
“Was Paul crucified for you?”
“Christ sent me to preach the gospel, not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of is power.”
“The word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing.”
“We preach Christ crucified … the wisdom and power of God.”
“I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.”
The other thing that these chapters do is give me some wonderfully relevant texts for our building program as the final weeks of the income expansion drive arrive. See the final sermons below.
- January 17 – "Sustained by the Faithfulness of God" 1:1-9
- January 24 – "Christian Unity and the Cross" 1:10-17
PM – "The Foolishness and the Weakness of God" 1:18-25
- January 31 – "Let Him Who Boasts Boast in the Lord!" 1:26-31
- February 7 – "Faith in the Power of God, not Man’s Wisdom" 2:1-5
PM – "Spiritual Wisdom for Our Glory" 2:6-13
- February 14 – "Natural People and Spiritual People" 2:14-16
- February 21 – "The Danger of Being Merely Human" 3:1-4
- February 28 – "Let God Be All in This Building!" 3:5-9
- March 6 – "Let Christ Be the Foundation in This Building" 3:10-17
- March 13 – "How Much Do You Own?" 3:18-23
Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray! Pray!
Seeking the guidance we need,