What does it mean to walk by faith? In this lab, Pastor John gives five practical steps for walking by faith no matter what trial, challenge, or heartache you are facing.
Principle for Bible Reading
In this lab, John Piper utilizes specific Bible verses to give practical steps for how he walks by faith in various situations. He summarizes it in the acronym A.P.T.A.T.
- Admit you can do nothing without God (John 15:5).
- Pray for help (Psalm 50:15).
- Trust a specific promise (2 Chronicles 20:20).
- Act (Philippians 2:12–13).
- Thank God for his provision and goodness (Psalm 106:1).
These steps can also provide practical help for Bible study. How can you walk by faith when your Bible is open before you but your mind wanders and your heart is distracted?
- Admit that you need God’s help to focus and be engaged. It might be helpful to cast all present anxieties on him before you begin your study (1 Peter 5:6–7).
- Pray for help to not only understand God’s word, but to be obedient to it (James 1:22).
- Trust a specific promise. In this case, Paul’s words to Timothy may be helpful: “Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything” (2 Timothy 2:7).
- Act by prayerfully reading, thinking, and meditating on truth.
- Thank God for his word and for meeting you whether you feel like it was especially rich or not.
- When faced with a challenging situation, do you have practical things you do to remind yourself to put your trust in the Lord?
- Read Galatians 2:20, 5:16, Romans 8:13–14, and 2 Corinthians 5:7. Based on these verses, what does it mean to live by faith and the Holy Spirit?
- Watch the video. What does the acronym A.P.T.A.T. stand for? Is there one step you struggle to apply in your own life?
How Do We Walk by the Spirit? | Walking by the Spirit is essential in the Christian life. In this episode of Ask Pastor John, he discusses more ways to practically walk by faith.
The Spirit-Led Are the Sons of God | In this sermon, Pastor John discusses the connection between how we walk by the Spirit and our adoption into the family of God.
Future Grace | In this book, Pastor John helps readers discover the key to overcoming sin and living a life that honors God. He encourages believers to look ahead to the grace God provides for us on a day-by-day, moment-by-moment basis — putting faith into action by laying hold of God’s promises for the challenges we face.