Calvinists embrace the biblical teaching called unconditional election, that God sovereignly chooses, and takes the decisive initiative, to save unworthy sinners for his own glory. The Scriptures give us many reasons why God’s election is such a sweet truth. Here are five of them.
- Election awakens and intensifies in us joyful praise of the sovereign freedom of God’s grace.
- Election gives humble, yet unassailable, assurance of salvation. God is for his saints — and will keep them forever.
- Election gives counselors, pastors, and friends encouraging words to speak to seemingly hopeless sinners.
- Election makes our prayers — for the salvation of the lost and all other acts of God — both possible and bold.
- Election makes fruitful efforts of evangelism and missions possible, humble, and bold.
Watch as John Piper digs into each of these features of election, and see for yourself from God’s word the many glorious reasons he has given us for embracing this truth.
Look at the Book is John Piper’s effort to help teach people to read the Bible for themselves. It’s an ongoing series of 8–12 minute videos in which the camera is on the text, not the teacher.
As part of this initiative, Desiring God has partnered with local churches for regional events focused on particular passages of Scripture. This is Part 6 in a series on Ephesians called “Seeing and Savoring the Splendor of God’s Sovereign Grace.”