How to Be Like Jesus During Advent
It is a wonderful problem! The Bethlehem nurseries are overflowing with little children. And all the more so because of so many visitors. We need your help. Even one hour over the next three weeks would be appreciated. Call Laurel and say, “I think I could give an hour or two this season, what should I do?” If you don’t think it’s important read on. (Even if you do, read on!)
1) Jesus was a child.
For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder (Isaiah 9:6).
2) Jesus took children in his arms and blessed them.
“Let the little children come to me, do not hinder them.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands upon them (Mark 10:14f ).
3) Jesus healed a child of a foreign woman.
“O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly (Matthew 15:28).
4) Jesus cast a demon out of a child.
And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured instantly (Matthew 17:18).
5) Jesus raised a child from the dead.
Taking her by the hand he said to her, “Talitha cumi”; which means, “Little girl, I say to you, arise.” And immediately the girl got up (Mark 5:41f ).
6) Jesus used a child’s loaves and fish to feed five thousand people.
“There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two fish; but what are they among so many?” Jesus said, “Make the people sit down” (John 6:9f ).
7) Jesus said you should become like a child.
Truly I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 18:3).
8) When Jesus came, children cried “Hosanna to the Son of David.”
The chief priests saw the children crying out in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” (Matthew 21:15).
9) Jesus predicated the terrible days when fathers would give their children up to death.
And brother will deliver up brother to death, and the father his child (Mark 13:12).
10) Jesus said that if you receive a child in his name, you receive him and the one who sent him.
Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me (Mark 9:37).
Speaking for those who can’t for themselves,