Praying till Pentecost Comes
The rising tide of prayer precedes the flood of God’s Spirit. The apostles devoted themselves to prayer as they awaited the outpouring of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). Their friends gathered for prayer when Peter and John were released from custody “and when they had prayed the place was shaken and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit” (Acts 4:31). The blinded Paul fasted and prayed as he awaited the filling of the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:11, 17, 19). Cornelius and Peter were both praying when God spoke to them (Acts 10:9, 30). The church was earnestly praying when God moved to release Peter from prison (Acts 12:5). The teachers of Antioch were worshipping and fasting when the Spirit set apart Paul and Barnabas for the mission that changed the world (Acts 13:2).
Pentecost Sunday is June 10. An International Prayer Assembly for World Evangelization is being held June 5-10 in Seoul, Korea. Many of us at Bethlehem are longing to join Christians around the world in praying for a global outpouring of God’s Spirit for revival of the church and evangelization of the world. From now until Pentecost Sunday we are going to do just that. These are days for regaining our New Year’s focus on “Going Hard after the Holy God.” We will find him as a church if we seek him together. Here are the opportunities:
- Wednesday: “Summer Psalms and Prayer” – Throughout the summer (at 7:15) we will be watering the garden of prayer with meditations from the Psalms.
- Saturday, June 2, 8-9 a.m.: Men of Bethlehem praying together in the Junior Room. We will not eat breakfast this month because of kitchen conflicts. Tom Steller will spur us with the word at 8:00 a.m.
- Sunday, June 3, Morning Worship: “The Spirit Wants the World for Christ.”
- Sunday, June 3, Evening Service: The team going to the U.S. Center for World Mission will lead the service and help us know how to pray for summer missions.
- Friday, June 8, 7 p.m.: Missions in the Manse II” – Everyone who is considering the possibility of short term or vocational ministry (stateside) or missions (beyond) is invited to the pastor’s home for update, challenge, prayer and worship.
- Friday, June 8, 10 p.m. – 6 a.m.: All Night Prayer in the Junior Room at church to seek God’s mighty work in our church and around the world.
- Sunday, June 10, Morning Worship: "The Holy Spirit Will Help You Die." A powerful word of hope from 1 Peter 4:12-19 that even death is no obstacle to joyous obedience.
- Sunday, June 10, 6:00 p.m.: Festival of the Spirit – a Multi-lingual celebration of the Holy Spirit.
Seek the Lord in these eight days, and the power of God’s Spirit will rest upon you this summer!
Fasting and praying until the power falls,