Christian Hedonist Calvinism
What would the doctrines of grace sound like if every limb in that tree were coursing with the sap of Augustinian delight. (that is, Christian Hedonism)?
- Total depravity is not just badness, but blindness to God’s beauty and deadness to the deepest joy.
- Unconditional election means that the completeness of our joy in Jesus was planned for us before we ever existed as the overflow of God’s joy in the fellowship of the Trinity.
- Limited atonement is the assurance that indestructible joy in God is infallibly secured for us by the blood of the covenant.
- Irresistible grace is the commitment and power of God’s love to make sure we don’t hold on to suicidal pleasures, and to set us free by the sovereign power of superior delights.
- Perseverance of the saints is the almighty work of God not to let us fall into the final bondage of inferior pleasures, but to keep us, through all affliction and suffering, for an inheritance of fullness of joy in his presence and pleasures at his right hand forevermore.
Recent posts from John Piper —
- The Sovereign God of "Elfland" (Why Chesterton's Anti-Calvinism Doesn't Put Me Off)
- A Word for Those Who Have Forsaken Jesus
- Not by Bread Alone: Let's Live on God's Word in 2012
Sign up to receive a daily digest of the Desiring God Blog.