David Platt on the Doctrine of Suffering
No topic is more enduringly relevant. Everyone encounters suffering one way or another and Christian leaders are called to help them understand its meaning.
David Platt, pastor at the Church at Brook Hills and author of Radical, sits down with David Mathis to discuss how he counsels individuals in the midst of affliction. He highlights five essential truths: 1) the sovereignty and goodness of God; 2) a humble view of man; 3) the ultimate reason that suffering exists is to exalt the glory of God's grace in the sacrifice of his Son for sinners; 4) God has a variety of good purposes in suffering; and 5) suffering is a means through which God leads the church to fulfill the Great Commission.
Stream or download this 14-minute podcast.
More episodes of Theology Refresh:
- John Piper on the God-Centeredness of God
- Francis Chan on the Sovereignty of God
- David Platt on Hell
- Don Carson on the Wrath of God and the Incarnation
- Russell Moore on Ethics and the Person of Christ
- R W Glenn on Grace and the Fatherhood of God
- Zane Pratt on Islam
- Tullian Tchividjian on Regeneration
- Tope Koleoso on Spiritual Warfare
- Ann Voskamp on Gratitude
- Jerry Bridges on the Christian Spiritual Disciplines
To subscribe or see the full list of over 40 episodes, visit Theology Refresh in the iTunes store
Sign up to receive a daily digest of the Desiring God Blog.