“‘Holy ambition’ means something you really want to do that God wants you to do. Something you want to do so much that doing it keeps you from doing other things that you also really like to do” (p. 17).
|Free EPUB (iBooks, Nook)||Download|
|Free MOBI (Kindle)||Download|
About the Book
This collection of missions-oriented sermons by John Piper, compiled by Desiring God, challenges you to consider and cultivate a holy ambition to preach Christ where he has not yet been named.
The apostle Paul had a holy ambition - to preach the gospel to peoples who had never heard. He ached to proclaim Jesus where he had not yet been named. So today, missionaries cross cultures, learn languages, and pour out their lives in word and deed to break through thousands of years of darkness and the reign of Satan over a people who do not know the King of kings and the Savior of the world. Missionaries go to, and minister among, peoples who otherwise have little to no access to the saving news of Jesus' life, death and resurrection.
And since Jesus' Great Commission to make disciples of all nations is still in effect - and since there are thousands of peoples today who have never heard of him - every church should pray that God would not only make all of us evangelists among our own people, but also that he would raise up from among us missionaries to take the gospel where it has never gone before.
First Edition 2011
Desiring God (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
Table of Contents
1. A Holy Ambition: To Preach Where Christ Has Not Been Named by John Piper
2. Missions: The Worship of Jesus and the Joy of All Peoples by David Mathis
Part One: A Biblical Theology Of Gospel-Centered Mission
3. The Story of His Glory
4. Those Who Have Faith Are the Sons of Abraham
5. If You Are Christ’s, You Are Heirs of the Promise
Part Two: The Mandate Of World Missions
6. Other Sheep That Are Not of This Fold
7. The Unfathomable Riches of Christ, for All Peoples, above All Powers, Through the Church
8. The Aroma of Christ Among the Nations
9. Gospel to the Nations, Generosity to the Poor
Part Three: The Costs And Blessings Of Mission
10. Doing Missions When Dying Is Gain
11. “I Am Sending You Out as Sheep in the Midst of Wolves”
12. Declaring His Glory Among the Nations
1. Prosperity Preaching: Deceitful and Deadly
2. Driving Convictions Behind Cross-Cultural Missions: Fourteen Foundational
Tenets for Fostering a Missions Movement