“Finishing life to the glory of Christ means finishing life in a way that makes Christ look glorious. It means living and dying in a way that shows Christ to be the all-satisfying Treasure that he is” (p. 5).
|Paperback||Buy on Amazon|
|Kindle||Buy on Amazon|
About the Book
John Piper challenges fellow baby boomers to forego the American dream of retirement and live out their golden years with a far greater purpose in mind.
They say it's a person's reward for all those years of labor. "Turn in your time card and trade in your IRAs. Let travel plans and golf-course leisure lead the way." But is retirement really the ideal? Or is it a series of poor options that ignore a greater purpose-and will kill a person more quickly than old age?
John Piper responds: "Lord, spare me this curse!" And his resounding message is for anyone who believes there's far more to the golden years than accumulating comforts. It's for readers who long to finish better than they started, persevere for the right reasons (and without fear), experience true security, value what lies beyond their cravings, and live dangerously for the One who gave his life in his prime. With this brief book, Piper is sure to spur fellow baby boomers in their resolve to invest themselves in the sacrifices of love-and to grow old with godly zeal.
First Edition 2009
Crossway Books (Wheaton, Illinois)
Table of Contents
• Resolutely Resisting Retirement
• The Perseverance of Raymond Lull
• Dying to Make Christ Look Great
• The Fear of Not Persevering
• Two Deadly Ways to Overcome This Fear
• Overcoming the Fear of Not Persevering
• The Perseverance of Polycarp
• A Charge to Baby Boomers
• The Perseverance of Charles Simeon
• The Perseverance of J. Oswald Sanders
• Passion: Making God’s Greatness Known to Future Generations
• Promise: We Are As Secure As Christ Is Righteous and God Is Just
- Passages on Enduring to the End with Faith and Zeal (article)
- Resolutions on Growing Old With God (article)
- Don't Waste Your Life (book)
- Getting Old for the Glory of God (conference message)
- Don't Waste Your Life (conference messages)