A Voyage into Narnia
It’s often very handy to have a professor as a friend.
“The Professor,” Digory Kirke, proved to be a well-travelled and advantageous ally for the children in C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia, and our own professor-friend Joe Rigney is a well-travelled guide to show us (and our children) through the wardrobe and into Lewis’s fantasy world.
Joe teaches Christian worldview at Bethlehem College & Seminary. We both have a pair of young sons we’re eager to soon introduce to Narnia. Before diving in, I thought it would be good to glean what I could from Joe, and hit record for your sake.
In this new episode of Theology Refresh, Joe gives all Lewis readers — but especially parents of young children — some ideas on why turn to Narnia, which book to start with, and how to wisely step into Lewis’s fantasy world of talking animals, mythical beasts, magic, glimpses of glory, and lessons about the real world. The Narnia tales are not only one of the great literary accomplishments of the twentieth century, but a poignant tool for bringing up our children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4).
Joe Rigney is giving a seminar titled “Live Like a Narnian: Christian Discipleship in C.S. Lewis’s Chronicles” at the Desiring God 2013 National Conference, September 27–29, at the Minneapolis Convention Center. The theme of this year’s event is “The Romantic Rationalist: God, Life, and Imagination in the Work of C.S. Lewis.” Information is available at our events page.
Some previous episodes of Theology Refresh:
- Zane Pratt on Islam 101
- Francis Chan on the Sovereignty of God
- David Platt on the Doctrine of Hell
- David Platt on Suffering
- Don Carson on the Wrath of God
- Don Carson on the Incarnation
- R W Glenn on the Grace of God
- Darrin Patrick on Biblical Complementarity
- Paul Miller on the Doctrine of Prayer
- Ed Welch on Biblical Counseling
- Russell Moore on Ethics
- Russell Moore on the Person of Christ
- Ann Voskamp on Gratitude
- Tope Koleoso on Spiritual Warfare
- John Piper on the God-Centeredness of God
- John Piper on the Gospel and Sanctification
- John Piper on the Gospel and Sanctification (Part 2)
[To subscribe or see the full list of over 30 episodes, visit Theology Refresh in the iTunes store]