Our all-sufficient Savior is many things, including a perfect model of masculinity. This point is a significant theme in Eric Mason’s new book Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole.
Mason joined me to talk more about his book and masculinity in the latest Authors on the Line interview. Mason is a husband, father, and church planter, who lives and ministers in the heart of Philadelphia, as the co-founder and lead pastor of Epiphany Fellowship.
In our 24-minute conversation, Mason shares the story of his father, a man who escaped the Jim Crow South to become a decorated WWII Buffalo Soldier, only to return home disillusioned by ongoing segregation. Then we talk about manhood’s highest expression, in the life and work of Jesus Christ, and why conversations about masculinity are opening new doors for the gospel. We discuss distinguishing Christ-centered manhood from cultural macho-ness, and we talk about the battle against pornography and why joy in God is an essential weapon. We look at the role of the local church in giving vision for masculinity in gospel-mission advance. And we close our conversation with the one thing every wife wishes her husband would provide (think outside the bacon).
Previous Authors on the Line podcasts —
- Gospel Peace in a Cluttered House: An Interview with Gloria Furman
- Spurgeon’s First Five Years in Ministry: An Interview with Tom Nettles and Christian George
- The Bible as One Story: An Interview with Tom Schreiner
- Why the Ascension of Jesus Matters: An Interview with Gerrit Scott Dawson and Jonny Woodrow
- Meaning and Metaphor: An Interview with Doug Wilson
- The Role of the Psalms in the Life of the Church: An Interview with Gordon Wenham
- Young, Restless, and Reformed Five Years Later: An Interview with Collin Hansen
- Getting Real with Personal Sin: An Interview with Matt Chandler
- Hospitality on Mission: An Interview with Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
- From Radical Lesbian to Redeemed Christian: An Autobiographical Interview with Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
- Enjoying God’s Beatific Beauty: An Interview with Kyle Strobel
- Marriage on the Cosmic Stage: An Interview with G. K. Beale
- The Cross-Centered Christmas: An Interview with Ann Voskamp
- Eyes Wide Open to God’s Created Beauty: An Interview with Steve DeWitt
- Christmas and the Sting of Personal Loss: An Interview with John Piper and Paul Maier
- The Trinitarian Shape of Jonathan Edwards' Theology: An Interview with Michael McClymond
- Union with Christ in Paul’s Theology: An Interview with Constantine Campbell
- God’s Work and Ours: An Interview with Timothy Keller
- Christians Leading in the Secular World: An Interview with Dr. Albert Mohler
- Same-Sex Temptations in the Church: An Interview with Robert Gagnon
- The Church in a Homosexual Culture: An Interview with Robert Gagnon
- Delighting in the Trinity: An Interview with Michael Reeves
- Charity and Its Fruits: An Interview with Kyle Strobel
Sign up to receive a daily digest of new articles from Desiring God.