The Introvert Pastor
Jared Wilson is an introvert and a pastor, which in some circles is an irreconcilable paradox. So how exactly does a pastor wisely lead people when his energy is so quickly depleted by being around people?
This is one of many topics Jared Wilson addresses in his forthcoming book for pastors: The Pastor's Justification: Applying the Work of Christ in Your Life and Ministry (Crossway, July 31).
I put Wilson on the line to talk with him about introverts in the ministry, especially their strengths and pitfalls. We started by talking about his ministry and how gospel-centrality became a reality for him. Then we talked about the insecurity many pastors feel in their role. We spent the remainder of the time talking about “introversion,” what the word means, how pastoral ministry can force extroverted expectations on the pastor, and, on the other hand, how the “introvert” label can become a trump card excuse for laziness. He shares advice for pastors who are more comfortable in their study than in the fellowship hall. We talk about how introverts can protect the time they need to recharge, and he explores questions that introverts who are possibly called to the ministry need to ask early on.
Previous Authors on the Line podcasts —
- Manhood Restored: An Interview with Eric Mason
- Gospel Peace in a Cluttered House: An Interview with Gloria Furman
- Spurgeon’s First Five Years in Ministry: An Interview with Tom Nettles and Christian George
- The Bible as One Story: An Interview with Tom Schreiner
- Why the Ascension of Jesus Matters: An Interview with Gerrit Scott Dawson and Jonny Woodrow
- Meaning and Metaphor: An Interview with Doug Wilson
- The Role of the Psalms in the Life of the Church: An Interview with Gordon Wenham
- Young, Restless, and Reformed Five Years Later: An Interview with Collin Hansen
- Getting Real with Personal Sin: An Interview with Matt Chandler
- Hospitality on Mission: An Interview with Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
- From Radical Lesbian to Redeemed Christian: An Autobiographical Interview with Rosaria Champagne Butterfield
- Enjoying God’s Beatific Beauty: An Interview with Kyle Strobel
- Marriage on the Cosmic Stage: An Interview with Greg Beale
- The Cross-Centered Christmas: An Interview with Ann Voskamp
- Eyes Wide Open to God’s Created Beauty: An Interview with Steve DeWitt
- Christmas and the Sting of Personal Loss: An Interview with John Piper and Paul Maier
- The Trinitarian Shape of Jonathan Edwards' Theology: An Interview with Michael McClymond
- Union with Christ in Paul’s Theology: An Interview with Constantine Campbell
- God’s Work and Ours: An Interview with Timothy Keller
- Christians Leading in the Secular World: An Interview with Dr. Albert Mohler
- Same-Sex Temptations in the Church: An Interview with Robert Gagnon
- The Church in a Homosexual Culture: An Interview with Robert Gagnon
- Delighting in the Trinity: An Interview with Michael Reeves
- Charity and Its Fruits: An Interview with Kyle Strobel
Sign up to receive a daily digest of new articles from Desiring God.