The Christian and Sport
Theology Refresh: Podcast for Christian Leaders
Playfulness is vital to healthy Christianity, says pastor and professor Erik Thoennes. “To be a Christian means to take God very seriously, but not ourselves.”
The great source of Christian playfulness is God himself, and the lavishness of his creation kindness and redeeming grace. Toss in some good healthy competition — and yes, competition can be good and healthy — and you have a recipe for sport and athletics.
For the Christian, there’s no such thing as “just a game,” says Thoennes, who is a professor at Biola, a pastor in La Mirada, California, and the author of “Created to Play: Thoughts on Play, Sport, and the Christian Life.”
Not just sports, but everything we do is glory-of-God relevant. “Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31). And not just God in general, but Jesus in specific. “Whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him” (Colossians 3:17).
[Subscribe to Theology Refresh through iTunes.]
More episodes of Theology Refresh:
- Gregg Allison on the Doctrine of the Church
- David Platt on the Doctrine of Hell
- Don Carson on the Wrath of God
- Sam Storms on the End Times
- Tony Reinke on a Theology of Reading
- David Platt on the Doctrine of Suffering
- Francis Chan on the Sovereignty of God
- John Piper on the Gospel and Sanctification
- John Piper on the Gospel and Sanctification (Part 2)
- Kevin DeYoung on the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit
- Jerry Rankin on the Great Commission
- Paul Miller on the Doctrine of Prayer
- John Piper on the Celebrity Factor and Pastoral Ministry
- Justin Taylor on the Sanctity of Human Life
- Jared Wilson on the Doctrine of the Trinity
- Ray Ortlund on Union with Christ
- Russell Moore on the Person of Christ
- Darrin Patrick on Biblical Complementarity
- Ed Stetzer on Spiritual Warfare
- Kevin DeYoung on Scripture
© 2015 Desiring God Foundation. Distribution Guidelines
Used by Permission.
Share the Joy! You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in physical form, in its entirety or in unaltered excerpts, as long as you do not charge a fee. For posting online, please use only unaltered excerpts (not the content in its entirety) and provide a hyperlink to this page. For videos, please embed from the original source. Any exceptions to the above must be approved by Desiring God.
Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. ©2015 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org