Dr. Robert Gagnon is a professor of New Testament at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary and a man who has for many years bravely addressed homosexuality from a biblical and theological perspective. In 2002 he published a 500-page book The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics. I put Dr. Gagnon on the line, peppered him with the following questions, and he kindly responded to each of them.
- What are the biblical and the structural prerequisites for a sexual union that magnifies God and honors his created design?
- From that, what constitutes sinful sexual practices?
- Does the Bible say anything about gender reassignment surgery?
- Is homosexuality a modern phenomenon? Just how pervasive was homosexuality in the Greco-Roman world of the Apostle Paul?
- By voting yes to the Minnesota Marriage Amendment, are Christians oppressing the freedoms of the gay and lesbian community? Why or why not?
- What advice do you have for churches seeking to preach against the sin of homosexuality, and make sure the church doors are wide open and welcoming to all those in the homosexual community?